I paint contemporary pet portraits from from your photographs

Here you will find the details & some client testimonials
on individual Painted Pets portrait commissions
.
To see my archived ink drawings, click the link below.


Painted Pets WEBSITE / INK DRAWINGS archive

Feb 20, 2012

Progress of a painted portrait. Stage 1

I used to photograph every stage of each painting back in 2006 when I began painting pet portraits. For two reasons, to check my work and to keep a record. But as I got busier, that became too time consuming and tedious, so now I usually take only one picture towards the end of the work. I don't show works in progress to clients (some artists do, and even ask for client input), but this is a special case. The last time I posted a work in progress was one year ago (February 2011 post).


This is 30.5 x 40.5cm, a nice size for a portrait. The first stage is a light tonal wash for subject placement and to work out the basic lighting and shadow areas. Draftsmanship is critical here because I have found I can save a lot of time if I get this right! This is actually my second go at this one. There's something, you can feel it, if a work isn't going right. I can't explain that but it's better to start again (for me anyway)rather than persevere with something that isn't working. I hope you come back in a week or two to see the next stage!
Click on image for larger view.

1 comment: